Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 90 minutes Serves: 4*
- 1 medium Spanish onion, diced
- 2 medium red bell peppers, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup garlic, chopped
- 2 tbs chili powder
- 1 tbs paprika
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 cups cold water
- 1 15-ounce can red kidney beans
- 1 15-ounce can navy beans
- 1 15-ounce can black beans
- 7 ounces Goya Recaito (a pre-cooked Spanish spice)
Saute onion and peppers in olive oil until translucent. Add garlic, chili powder, paprika and crushed red pepper and cook for another minute.
Add sautèed ingredients to a large stockpot. Add cold water and beans. Simmer slowly for 1 1/2hours, then add the recaito. Cook for about 3 more minutes. Adjust the seasoning to your personal taste.
Note: for thicker chili, cook an extra 10-20 minutes, or puree 4 ounces of chili in a blender or food processor, and add back to the chili.
Ian’s Quick Tip – To make spicier chili, add Tabasco sauce: Add 1 tsp to make chili spicy Add 2 tsp to make chili extra spicy Add 3 tsp to make chili red hot spicy.
*The Eclectic Connoisseur’s Notes:
1. I followed the recipe to the letter, and found it to yield significantly more than 4 servings.
2. At first taste, this chili didn’t have enough heat for my husband and I. However, the next day…YOWZA! So, before you go crazy adding Tabasco, give it a day to let the flavors come alive.
Have a great week!