Looking for a different kind of burger? Allow me to introduce you to the chipotle pork cheeseburger…mmm…
Chipotle Pork Cheeseburgers
- Serves 4
- Active time:10 min
- Start to finish:20 min
- 1 lb ground pork (not lean)
- 2 teaspoons minced chipotle in adobo plus 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, forced through a garlic press (I finely chopped mine)
- 4 slices Muenster cheese
- 4 hamburger buns, toasted (I used wheat buns)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 large tomatillo (1/4 lb), husked and rinsed, then sliced
- 1/2 small avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro sprigs
- You’ll also want to have a fresh lime (for the avocado)
- Prepare a gas grill for direct-heat cooking over medium heat.
Gently mix pork, chipotle, garlic, and a scant tsp salt until just combined. Form into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
Oil grill rack, then grill patties, covered, 4 minutes.
Flip patties and top with a slice of cheese. Grill, covered, until just cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes more.
Spread buns with mayonnaise and assemble burgers with tomatillo, avocado, and cilantro.
I made these burgers last night and, boy, were they delicious! The only thing I’d do differently is chop the cilantro and incorporate it into the mayonnaise, maybe adding a squeeze or two of fresh lime juice. Grill a couple of bell peppers and some corn on the cob and you’ve got quite a meal.
And in case you were wondering, yes, I did have rocky road ice cream for dessert. Let the celebration continue! I think I’ll skip Applesauce Cake Day (June 4th) and hold out for National Doughnut Day (June 5th). What weird holidays will you be celebrating this month?